Command/cheat consoles in video games usually aren't the simplest things. Thankfully, the command system isn't too complicated in Factorio, well, that is if you don't delve into the Lua command system.
In Factorio, commands are simply chat messages preceeded by a slash that 'do things'. They're commonly referred to as cheats. This article will show you how to execute and use them.
Opening the Console
There's no way you can execute commands if you don't know how to open the console. To open the console, all you have to do is press the / key (forward slash) or the ~ key (tilde key).
Commands in Factorio have the following properties:
- Every command is proceeded with a / (forward slash).
- Arguments are separated with spaces. Arguments are just variables or data that is passed to a command. In the command '/whitelist add john23', the arguments are 'add' and 'john23'.
- Some commands require administrator status.
It's important to note that not all commands have arguments, and some commands have varying amounts of arguments.
To see a list of cheat commands for Factorio, check out our command list.
Factorio also allows for Lua commands, these are a little more complicated. The commands you need to know to use Lua in Factorio are:
|/c [lua]||This command executes a Lua command, e.g. "/c game.player.print("hi")".|
|/measured-command [lua]||This command executes a Lua command, and measures the time it took to execute. Useful for working out laggy commands.|
|/silent-command [lua]||This command executes a Lua command, but will not print it to the console.|
Opening the Console in Other Games
It's likely Factorio isn't the only game you're going to need to access the console to use cheats in. Here's a list of how to open the console in some related games:
- How to Open the Console in Subnautica
- How to Open the Console in Hearts of Iron IV
- How to Open the Console in Europa Universalis IV
- How to Open the Console in Stellaris
- How to Open the Console in Fallout 4
- How to Open the Console in Skyrim
- How to Enable Cheats in Unturned
- How to Use Commands in Starbound